From U.S. Senator Jerry Moran’s Office…
WASHINGTON – U.S. Senator Jerry Moran (R-Kan.) today announced members of his 2019 Service Academy Selection Board. The 20-member board will review applications and interview candidates who are applying for admission to U.S. Service Academies.
“One of the greatest responsibilities I have as a United States Senator is to nominate Kansas students to attend service academies,” said Sen. Moran “I am proud of these young students for their desire to serve our nation, and I’m grateful to my Service Academy Selection Board for the thoughtful consideration they put into the application process. These students applying to enter service academies represent the best of Kansas, and I look forward to receiving the selection board’s recommendations and meeting with students in Hutchinson.”
Applications will be reviewed and selected applicants will be interviewed by the selection board on Saturday, September 21 at the Cosmosphere in Hutchinson. The U.S. Service Academies include the U.S. Military Academy, U.S. Naval Academy, U.S. Air Force Academy and U.S. Merchant Marine Academy.
Media are invited to attend the event. Questions about the event may be directed to Trenton_Kennedy@moran.senate.gov.
Members of the 2019 Service Academy Selection Board include:
- Lt. Col. (RET) Bob Brock of Topeka – Director of Aviation, Kansas Department of Transportation, U.S. Air Force veteran;
- Myca Bunch of Garden City – President, Garden City Area Chamber of Commerce, U.S. Air Force veteran;
- LTC (Ret) Larry Burks, Sr., of Wichita – Director, Military and Veteran Services, Wichita State University, U.S. Army veteran;
- Dennis Butler of Manhattan – Director, Riley County Police Department;
- COL John Cluck of Wathena – Mayor, City of Wathena, Vice Commander, 139th Airlift Wing, Missouri Air National Guard;
- Ardith Dunn, Ph.D., of Satanta – Retired high school mathematics/computer instructor, K-12 superintendent, mother of U.S. Air Force Academy graduate;
- Michael Farris, M.D., of Altamont – Emergency Physician, Freeman Neosho Hospital, Served in the U.S. Air Force Reserves;
- Sue Givens of El Dorado – Field Specialist, Kansas Association of School Boards, Retired K-12 superintendent;
- Robin Jackson, Ph.D., of Hutchinson – Central Christian College Professor of Science and Mathematics;
- Cheryl Kerns of Overland Park – Blue Valley West High School teacher, mother of U.S. Military Academy graduate;
- Brian Kessens of Overland Park – Tortoise Capital managing director, U.S. Military Academy graduate;
- Katrina Lewison of Manhattan – USD 383 Board of Education Member, Purple Heart recipient, U.S. Military Academy graduate;
- Jayne Humphrey Pearce of Wallace – Wallace County Visitors Bureau Marketing and Tourism Director, U.S. Air Force veteran, mother of U.S. Air Force Academy graduate;
- Rachael Pitchford of Dodge City – Assistant Principal, Comanche Middle School, U.S. Marine Corps veteran;
- Sean Ritchie of Wichita – Cargill North American Operations Lead, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy graduate;
- Halley Roberson of Oberlin – City Administrator, City of Oberlin, U.S. Army veteran;
- Mike Souder of Prairie Village – Dean of Continuing Education, Johnson County Community College, U.S. Military Academy graduate;
- Sam Turner of Leawood – Retired Shawnee Mission Medical Center CEO, Vietnam War veteran, U.S. Army veteran;
- Ron Whitney of Emporia – American Legion member, Veterans of Foreign Wars member, U.S. Army veteran;
- Beth Wilson of Girard – Business education teacher, Girard High School, mother of U.S. Naval Academy Midshipman.